The Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948 recognizes the right to adequate housing as an important component of the right to adequate standard of living. This has been further reaffirmed by subsequent international instruments including the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights of 1966, the Istanbul Declaration and Habitat Agenda of 1996 and the Declaration on Cities and Other Human Settlements in the New Millennium.
The Constitution of Kenya, 2010 recognizes the importance of housing “…Every person has the right to accessible and adequate housing, and to a reasonable standard of sanitation.
Sustainable Land Use, Excellence in Land Management Land Tenure Security, Affordable, Decent Housing and Well planned Urban and Rural Development.
To provide quality engineering works, enhance the development and maintenance of infrastructure, and decent housing for all.
To formulate and implement land policy, register land transactions, and undertake land surveys, mapping, and physical planning
In carrying out its mission, the Department is guided by the following core values in service delivery:-
• High quality service
• Innovation & creativity
• Integrity and fairness
Functions of Land, Physical Planning & Survey Division
• Documents and maintains record for all public land
• Provision of reliable land information to the executive for decision-making in land administration and management.
• Ensure land rates are paid by land proprietors
• Maintain a record of ownership for alienated land.
• To undertake cadastral surveys for new grants and subdivision for public land
• To undertake topographical surveys for public projects
• To undertake general boundary surveys
• Resolution of boundary disputes(fixed survey boundaries)
• Giving evidence in court on survey matters
• Processing of mutation forms
Physical planning section
• Formulate county physical planning laws
• Preparation of annual reports on the state of county physical planning
• Conduct research on physical planning matters
• Implementation of physical planning standards
• Custodian of all plans
• Management of planning data and data lab